Portland is a strategic place to set up a services business. In fact, about one third of Portland businesses are service oriented, according to the city government. Less than 10 percent are manufacturing, 20 percent are retail and 10 percent are government.
Forbes magazine has named Portland as America’s most livable city. Portland was selected for its income growth, culture, low levels of crime, cost of living and unemployment rate. (By the way, Denver, Colorado, Cambridge, Massachusetts, and Little Rock, Arkansas are among the cities that join Portland in the top 15 ranked livable communities in the U.S.)
Here are some additional rankings of note for small businesses and entrepreneurs:
- Portland noted as one of two of the "Best Cities for Mid-Level Professionals" in Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine.
- Portland ranked #20 in Inc. magazine's 2006 Boom Town List of Hottest Cities for Entrepreneurs.
- Portland was named as one of the top 100 "Best Performing Cities" in the nation by the Milken Institute.
- Portland was named #15 in medium-sized Top U.S. Cities for Doing Business by Inc. magazine.
- Portland Named #1 Top Market in Small Business Vitality by the American City Business Journals.
If you are already living and working in Portland, these rankings probably don’t surprise you. But if you are considering moving there—or even just setting up a virtual office there to leverage the services business opportunities—then this should be good news.
Davinci Virtual Office Solutions offers a virtual office space in Portland at the Maine Business Center. Located at 415 Congress Street, virtual offices at this location are available for as little as $150 a month.
You’ll get the prime business address, mail and package receipt, access to a business support center, a lobby greeter, a client drop off and pick up point, mail forwarding and shipping services and more. You can even rent a conference room on demand at this Maine virtual office for as little as $25 an hour. So what are you waiting for?
Check out this video on Portland, Maine and see for yourself the beauty of the area.