Virtual Office Job Seekers Should Spruce Up ResumeHOUSTON—Looking for a virtual office job? Have you spruced up your resume? Whether you are looking for a virtual office job or something more traditional, your resume is one of the most critical components in the quest to land an interview.
Flex Hour Jobs, an employment web site that focuses on flexible job opportunities, such as telecommuting and virtual office jobs, is offering 10 secret reasons resumes do not get callbacks or interviews. So if you are on the hunt for a virtual office or telecommuting job, listen up. Here are the top 10 reasons:
- Resume is too wacky or unprofessional.
- Screening software excludes resumes without relevant experience or pertinent keywords.
- Extensive and unexplained work gaps indicating a possible lack of updated skills.
- Lack of mobility or inability to travel or relocate.
- Job seeker too focused on kind of company they want to work for, rather than what they can do for the company.
- Resumes not formatted optimally with visible attention-catching information.
- Too many typos or poor grammar.
- Resume appears mass mailed and not specific to the job.
- Candidate over qualified, too set in their ways of doing a job the same way for years.
- Resume appears overly embellished with experience and achievements.
So what is a virtual office job seeker to do? For starters, update your resume regularly. Customize your resume to cater to the specific needs of the virtual office job you are seeking. Make sure relevant job experience is clearly stated in a visible area of the resume.
“Online resume submissions should list the most eye-catching information above the fold, visible before the viewer has to scroll down,” says Jacqueline Sloboda, founder of Flex Hour Jobs. According to Flex Hour Jobs, most hiring managers make up their minds about candidates within six to 15 seconds of reading a resume.
If you need some help, Flex Hour Jobs offers a resume service that costs $30 to $60. Or you can go it on your own. Whichever way you go, increase your chances for a virtual office job by avoiding the top 10 mistakes listed above.